The purpose of the trial work experience is to determine:
- The Physical, Mental, and/or Vocational Potential of the Individual
- The Feasibility and Necessity for Placement in Competitive Employment
- Realistic Vocational Objectives
- Vocational Strengths and Weaknesses
A vocational specialist will have the client participate in situational assessments and work samples to help assess the client’s vocational interests, skills, and abilities.
The general criteria for determining client’s success include:
- Attendance expectations
- Punctuality expectations
- Productivity expectations
- Behavioral expectations
- Work performance
Once the client completes the trial work experience, the specialist will determine the next appropriate step which can include job placement or a recommendation for other services.